[vbox-dev] QT GUI Snapshot Functionality renamed

Sander van Leeuwen Sander.Vanleeuwen at Sun.COM
Mon May 4 15:13:06 GMT 2009

Johannes Rudolph wrote:
> Hi Sander,
> looking at your points i have some questions:
> />2) //multiple snapshots, discard last snapshot is indeed a merge
> with its parent (diff images merged; parent saved state deleted)/
> how can parent have a saved state?  I always thought saved states do
> only occur in the deepest level of the snapshot tree?
A snapshot is by definition a saved state plus a set of differencing
disk images (which can be empty if no disks are attached to the VM).

> //
> />3) multiple snapshots, discard other (non-last) snapshot merges the
> image diff with its child and deletes the saved state /
> which saved state is deleted? It makes sense the image is merged with
> the child. Based on this i would rather suggest changing description
> in UI to something like:
> "Merge Snapshot into Snapshot-Tree" and in the tooltip: "If the
> Snapshot is at the deepest level of the snapshot tree it is merged
> with its parent, else with its child snaphot"
The merge only takes place on the implementation level, because of the
diff. disk dependencies. From the user's perspective the snapshot was
deleted. There is no need to inform the user about technical details as
that will only lead to confusion.

Regards,

Sander