Ticket #10500 (new defect)
VB including Manager stops responding after pausing machine. Can't resume, can't do anything
|Reported by:||matteosistisette||Owned by:|
I paused a running virtual machine, minimized the vm's window and used other programs. Then I brought the vm's window to front again with the intention of resuming the VM, and the following happened:
- VM din't respond. Instead of the VM's screen, inside the window you would see garbage coming from other applications.
- The garbage contents of the VM's window stayed on top of everything else and you couldn't bring any other window on top of it.
- Even by using the shortcut for showing Ubuntu's desktop, you would still see the garbage screen on top of the desktop (only in the part which was not covered by the original VM's window, you could see part of the desktop behind)
- Clicking on VB Manager's icon would not bring VM Manager to front (it was like "hidden" behind the VM's window garbage contents)
- Clicking on any of the two VB icons (the VM and the Manager) wouldn't ever make the application menu visible, so there was no way to access the Machine menu and either resume or turn off the machine.
- I couldn't use any other application because it would always stay behind the garbage contents of the VM's window.
The only way I could come out of this situation was:
- Ctrl+F1 to switch to a virtual terminal screen
- log in
- run "VBoxManage controlvm (machine name) resume"
- ctrl+F7 to switch to ubuntu's screen again
=> then the mahcine had resumed and VB was responding again