[vbox-dev] QT GUI Snapshot Functionality renamed

Sander van Leeuwen Sander.Vanleeuwen at Sun.COM
Mon May 4 10:05:16 GMT 2009

Hi Johannes,

Your proposal is not completely correct either. Consider the following
cases:
1) one snapshot, discard is indeed a merge of the diff image with its
parent (main disk image)
2) multiple snapshots, discard last snapshot is indeed a merge with its
parent (diff images merged; parent saved state deleted)
3) multiple snapshots, discard other (non-last) snapshot merges the
image diff with its child and deletes the saved state

So basically the button and popup menu items should change description
according to the highlighted snapshot. (1 & 2 merge, 3 remains discard)

Regards,

Sander

Johannes Rudolph wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> This is my first contribution to VirtualBox, so please be so kind to
> notice me if im doing something horribly wrong :-)
>
> I think button naming in QT GUI for the Snapshot functionality is
> confusing.
> "Discard Snapshot" /is /discarding the Snapshot, however it does so by
> /merging /it with the parent. This behaviour clearly is not
> described in the current description. As also suggested in this blog post
> http://srackham.wordpress.com/cloning-and-copying-virtualbox-virtual-machines/
> i therefore renamed the button to "Merge with Parent".
>
> See also: Bug #1101 <http://www.virtualbox.org/ticket/1101>
> Just to further underline my point that the current button naming is
> causing unnescessary confusion.
>
> I also adapted the German translation accordingly, as its my native
> language.
>
> It would also be nescessary to introduce a new button icon for this,
> however i'd first like to ask if this patch is likely to be approved.
> Im afraid i couldnt submit a correct svn patch, but i do currently do
> not have access to a subversion installation. The two files attached
> reside in:
> trunk/src/VBox/Frontends/VirtualBox/nls/
> trunk/src/VBox/Frontends/VirtualBox/src/
>
> respectively.
>
> Everything i submitted is subject to MIT License.
>
> Would someone please be so kind to provide some feedback about my
> suggestion?
>
> Kind Regards,
> Johannes Rudolph

Kind regards / Mit freundlichen Gruessen / Met vriendelijke groet

--

Sun Microsystems GmbH        Sander van Leeuwen
Werkstrasse 24               Senior Staff Engineer, VirtualBox
71384 Weinstadt, Germany     mailto:Sander.Vanleeuwen at sun.com

Sitz der Gesellschaft: Sun Microsystems GmbH,
Sonnenallee 1, 85551 Kirchheim-Heimstetten
Amtsgericht Muenchen: HRB 161028
Geschaeftsfuehrer: Thomas Schroeder,
Wolfgang Engels, Dr. Roland Boehmer