Ticket #10525 (closed defect: fixed)
Outbound connect(2) failures are not propagated to guest correctly => Fixed in SVN
|Reported by:||reidpr||Owned by:|
|Host type:||Mac OS X|
Steps to reproduce (see also notes below):
- Install a Debian Wheezy 64-bit guest on a Mac OS 10.7 host.
- Configure a NAT network interface.
- Install links in the guest.
- Locate a server which gives a "destination unreachable" error when pinged from the host.
- Inside the guest, try to use links to access that server: "links http://example.com".
- links immediately displays a "connection refused" error (i.e., the same as what the host does)
- links waits until the connection times out and then displays a timeout error
- netstat shows the connection in SYN-SENT state until timeout
- Packets to the host in question can be rejected inside the guest, e.g. "route add -host x.y.z.w reject".
- I hypothesize that the ICMP packet reporting the problem is not being passed to the guest.
- I suspect the precise details of which Linux are installed as the guest aren't important.
- I also suspect the problem can be reproduced with a simple connection refused from a reachable server, e.g. " http://google.com:9999".
- See also https://forums.virtualbox.org/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=48644
Thanks for your hard work on VirtualBox!
- Summary changed from ICMP packets aren't being copied from host to guest under NAT to NAT doesn't report all socket errors to guest via ICMP
- Summary changed from NAT doesn't report all socket errors to guest via ICMP to Outbound connect(2) failures are not propagated to guest correctly => Fixed in SVN
Note: See TracTickets for help on using tickets.