[vbox-dev] Rosetta Support

Klaus Espenlaub klaus.espenlaub at oracle.com
Tue Oct 25 18:04:48 GMT 2022

Hello everyone,

keep in mind that the current target of the VirtualBox package for
macOS/ARM (which is an unsupported developer preview at the moment due
to its early state) is actually running VMs with Intel x86 or x64
instruction set, initially through emulating one instruction after the
other which means it has very modest performance (in less diplomatic
wording one could call it painfully slow). Which implicitly does not
need or benefit from Rosetta in any way.

Once the basics are working we hope to look into improving performance,
which will be another significant project. The package for macOS/ARM
will remain in unsupported developer preview state for the foreseeable
future.

To spell it out even more clearly: the target is creating and running
'regular' Windows for x86/x64, and likewise Linux (and eventually
Solaris, *BSD and other OSes) for x86/x64 in the VMs, i.e. what you
might have done previously on macOS/Intel or other VirtualBox installs.

At the moment there is absolutely no way to run VMs using ARM code in
VirtualBox.

Klaus