[vbox-dev] VB xml format

Klaus Espenlaub klaus.espenlaub at oracle.com
Wed Nov 3 21:18:40 GMT 2021

Hi everyone,

as far as XML goes "extradata" is a simple key/value store. The meaning
of the value varies greatly with the key, and the ones you mentioned
starting with GUI/ are internal stuff managed by the VirtualBox VM
manager UI code.

I would strongly advise against relying on those extradata fields,
because they're not immediately written out (IIRC it's postponed until
GUI termination, or at least for a while to not trigger too many
updates). They're also updated only when the GUI is running. One can
create VMs (and organize them in groups) without using the GUI, and then
this is stale data...

The only truly reliable approach is to use the VirtualBox API. You can
query which VMs are there, which groups, ...

Interpreting the XML files is theoretically possible, but there have
been many changes over the years which moved attributes and tags around,
changed defaults and so on. So getting this right will be essentially
implementing a 2nd version of the XML parsing code in VirtualBox, which
is quite a bit of hairy code in src/VBox/Main/xml/Settings.cpp

The only thing which is possible with usual XML tools is to validate
them against src/VBox/Main/xml/VirtualBox-settings.xsd (and it's likely
that you find some perfectly valid config files which don't validate due
to sloppiness/bugs in the XML schema definition).

Klaus