[vbox-dev] VB xml format

Bernard Giannetti thebernmeister at hotmail.com
Thu Nov 4 08:11:41 GMT 2021

Hi Stéphane, fth0, Klaus,

Thanks for your responses.  I have done some digging/reading...

Looking at
    https://www.virtualbox.org/browser/vbox/trunk/src/VBox/Frontends/VirtualBox/src/manager/chooser/UIChooserAbstractModel.cpp

and the functions prefixToString() and optionToString(), I see the characters that define group and machine, but there are some other characters which don't make sense...but that I don't believe affects my situation.  That 'gc' and 'go' both refer to groups, that fixes my immediate issue.

Longer term, I will ditch parsing the XML configuration file as this is chasing my tail at best!  After some investigation, I believe I can use:

    VBoxManage list vms --long

to give me each machine's name, UUID and group.  Hopefully this works as expected as this is preferable to calling the API via a COM wrapper or the web server interface.

Thanks again for the help,

Bernard.