[vbox-dev] Fixes for API changes in kernel 4.20

Michael Thayer michael.thayer at oracle.com
Wed Nov 21 09:12:10 GMT 2018

21.11.18 02:24, Larry Finger wrote:
> Michael,
>
> I really like your approach to testing for features in a manner that
> will be less affected by distros backporting API changes. Unfortunately,
> code patched using your version fails to build under kernel 4.20.0-rcX.
> As I noted, the get_settings member of struct ethtool_ops, is renamed
> get_link_ksettings, and the callback method is changed. Your patch does
> not handle this change. This results in the error
>
> /usr/src/kernel-modules/virtualbox/src/vboxnetadp/linux/VBoxNetAdp-linux.c:135:6:
> error: ‘const struct ethtool_ops’ has no member named ‘get_settings’;
> did you mean ‘get_strings’?
>      .get_settings       = vboxNetAdpEthGetSettings,
>       ^~~~~~~~~~~~
>       get_strings

Hello Larry,

I am slightly confused there, as I did not change the VBoxNetAdp-linux.c
patch at all, but left your patch to it unchanged, and it looks like the
patch still does get_link_ksettings() for 4.20.

Regards
Michael
--
Michael Thayer | VirtualBox engineer
ORACLE Deutschland B.V. & Co. KG | Werkstr. 24 | D-71384 Weinstadt

ORACLE Deutschland B.V. & Co. KG
Hauptverwaltung: Riesstraße 25, D-80992 München

Handelsregister der Handelskammer Midden-Nederland, Nr. 30143697