[vbox-dev] fw:Re: 3d acceleration of android-x86 for virtualbox

Chih-Wei Huang cwhuang at android-x86.org
Wed Jul 19 11:35:51 GMT 2017

> <Michael Thayer> 在 2017-07-18 16:20:43 写道:
> Hello Dong Hao,
>
> (Is that the right way to address you?)
>
> 15.07.2017 19:57, tim3385 wrote:
> [...]
>> vboxguest, vboxvideo and vboxsf have been probed into android-x86.
>> We are finding the entrance of translate android-x86 3d implement to
>> host OS.
>>
>> We have a few questions about virtualbox, thanks^^:
>>
>> 1 "external_vboxguest-linux-module" is a driver for virtualbox's virtual
>> hardware, is my understanding right?
>
> The vboxguest module drives the virtual "guest" device which does most
> of the work of letting the Guest Additions communicate with the host.
>
>> 2 There is a sentense "Hardware 3D acceleration under Ubuntu 10.10 and
>> Fedora 14 have been tested and confirmed as working"
>> in http://www.virtualbox.org/manual/ch04.html#guestadd-video . Can you
>> introduce the theory? eg. where is the entrance that The additon
>> translate 3d api invoke to host?
>
> I see that our manual needs some adjusting not to refer to precise guest
> versions which get out of date quickly. To repeat: the theory is that
> we replace libGL.so.1 on the guest with our own one: VBoxOGL.so, with
> various dependencies VBoxOGL*.so. Those marshall OpenGL API calls
> (though they deal with some things locally in the address space of the
> caller) which they send through the guest device using the HGCM
> transport (though it can also be done through the graphics device using
> the HGSMI transport) to the host for rendering. See the make file
> src/VBox/Additions/common/crOpenGL/Makefile.kmk
> for an overview of what goes into those libraries. The source files are
> rather scattered over the tree, and some are auto-generated, but if you
> want to do something here you will not get around doing a lot of reading
> of source. We could probably answer specific questions, but generic
> explanations of "how it works" will probably not help much without that
> reading.
>
> See though my suggestion by private e-mail of modifying the vboxvideo
> graphics device to be able to channel Qemu's virgl rendering protocol
> through to the host. You would be able to leave the guest rendering
> code in Mesa almost unmodified (just changed enough to recognise
> vboxvideo as a supported device) and re-use the host rendering code (the
> virglrenderer library) which would just need to be hooked, more or less
> unmodified, into our host code. The changes to vboxvideo itself should
> be reasonably trivial too. In comparison, reworking our current 3D code
> will be a lot of work.

Hi Michael,
Thank you for the detailed reply.
Let me sum it up to see if I understand
your words correctly:

* Modify Mesa to recognize vboxvideo
* Modify vboxvideo to send virgl rendering protocol to the host
* Hook virglrenderer to vbox host code

I have concern about the third step.
As I know currently virglrenderer only supports Linux.
(though I saw some Windows's patches are ongoing)
That would limit our supported hosts.
Besides, I think currently virglrenderer is still not stable
or complete enough. As I tested on QEMU with virgl,
many 3D benchmark apps don't work.
(just crash or black screen)
The only famous benchmark app that works on it
is GLXBench.

I'm still thinking if it's possible to use your current 3D code
directly. Could you give us more ideas how it work
for Linux or Windows guests? Or point us which
code to read. Thanks a lot!

--
Chih-Wei
Android-x86 project