[vbox-dev] VBox 5.14 Win10 Host + Arch-Linux Guest

Frank Mehnert frank.mehnert at oracle.com
Mon Sep 5 15:13:17 GMT 2016

Hello,

On Thursday, 1 September 2016 12:12:22 CEST debbie10t wrote:
> first, as this is the vbox-dev list please be clear, I am not asking for
> VBox help. I have been subscribed to this list for a while and it seems
> this query should be ok to ask here.
>
> Quick summary:
>
> I have been running vbox for some years, I am quite familiar with it.
> I run a win10 host with Linux:arch/centOS/Debian/Ubuntu and WinXP guests.
> This all worked well for a long time.
>
> Problem:
>
> Recently, I upgraded vbox to version 5.1.4 r110238, and now the
> arch-linux client simply will not run properly.  It seems that it refuses
> to load the guest additions.
>
> I have spoken to the arch-linux support channels (on freenode) and their
> immediate response was that "there is a problem between virtual box and
> the latest Linux Kernel" I could not get any other useful information out
> of that channel .. other than they believe the problem lies entirely with
> Virtualbox.
>
> I also asked on freenode#vbox but did not get any reply to my question ..
>
> As arch-linux is one of the bleeding edge linux distros I am prepared to
> accept that problems like this will most likely manifest themselves with
> arch before any other OS.
>
> Question:
>
> Is this problem known to the Vbox developers ?
> I have scanned the bug-trac but could not find a matching bug report.
>
> Is there anything I can do to help ?

Short answer: That problem is not known.

Long answer: As you wrote that you are quite familiar with VirtualBox I
would expect that you provide some more information. For instance, which
kernel runs in your ArchLinux guest and what is the content of
/var/log/vboxadd-install.log?

And you say that the Guest Additions refuse to load. What problem do you
observe in detail?

Kind regards,

Frank
--
Dr.-Ing. Frank Mehnert | Software Development Director, VirtualBox
ORACLE Deutschland B.V. & Co. KG | Werkstr. 24 | 71384 Weinstadt, Germany

ORACLE Deutschland B.V. & Co. KG
Hauptverwaltung: Riesstraße 25, D-80992 München