[vbox-dev] VBox 5.14 Win10 Host + Arch-Linux Guest

debbie10t debbie10t at gmail.com
Mon Sep 5 21:42:36 GMT 2016

On 05/09/16 16:13, Frank Mehnert wrote:
> Hello,
>
> On Thursday, 1 September 2016 12:12:22 CEST debbie10t wrote:
>> first, as this is the vbox-dev list please be clear, I am not asking for
>> VBox help. I have been subscribed to this list for a while and it seems
>> this query should be ok to ask here.
>>
>> Quick summary:
>>
>> I have been running vbox for some years, I am quite familiar with it.
>> I run a win10 host with Linux:arch/centOS/Debian/Ubuntu and WinXP guests.
>> This all worked well for a long time.
>>
>> Problem:
>>
>> Recently, I upgraded vbox to version 5.1.4 r110238, and now the
>> arch-linux client simply will not run properly.  It seems that it refuses
>> to load the guest additions.
>>
>> I have spoken to the arch-linux support channels (on freenode) and their
>> immediate response was that "there is a problem between virtual box and
>> the latest Linux Kernel" I could not get any other useful information out
>> of that channel .. other than they believe the problem lies entirely with
>> Virtualbox.
>>
>> I also asked on freenode#vbox but did not get any reply to my question ..
>>
>> As arch-linux is one of the bleeding edge linux distros I am prepared to
>> accept that problems like this will most likely manifest themselves with
>> arch before any other OS.
>>
>> Question:
>>
>> Is this problem known to the Vbox developers ?
>> I have scanned the bug-trac but could not find a matching bug report.
>>
>> Is there anything I can do to help ?
> Short answer: That problem is not known.
>
> Long answer: As you wrote that you are quite familiar with VirtualBox I
> would expect that you provide some more information. For instance, which
> kernel runs in your ArchLinux guest and what is the content of
> /var/log/vboxadd-install.log?
>
> And you say that the Guest Additions refuse to load. What problem do you
> observe in detail?

Hi Frank,

thank you for your reply.

I recently subscribed to the vbox-trac mailing list and having followed that
for a couple of weeks, I think that vbox 5.1.4 has had a considerable number
of problems.  I expect that my problem will be resolved in due course.

I will keep my Vbox up-to date and, if my problem persists, will post a
detailed trac report.  Tho, I very much doubt I am the only person to
experience the problem.

Judging by that mailing list, I can see that solving issues gets a much
higher priority than I was expecting :-)

For the record; I have had to migrate to Hyper-V :( which has caused many
annoying complications with vbox but I had no choice.  I do not want to
needlessly complicate any infos I submit while running two virtualisation
suites.

Sorry to bother you on this list.

Kind regards