[vbox-dev] Implications of changing the XML version

Klaus Espenlaub klaus.espenlaub at oracle.com
Mon Jul 18 17:32:02 GMT 2016

Hi Socratis,

See https://www.virtualbox.org/ticket/15626 - it's a 5.1.0 regression.

> One workaround is to manually change the XML version to 1.15. That seems to fix/prevent it. The question is: does that affect other aspects of the configuration? In what ways?

It would only help if you stick to 5.1.0, and a certain percentage of
the users would edit the files while VirtualBox is running, no matter
how often you repeat that it's a bad idea otherwise.

> I wanted to get a feeling about that before I posted this in the forums, so I won't be misleading other users into doing something that might turn out to be problematic.

The next test build will have the fix (and any 5.1 build later than
r108825). I hope that tomorrow we have enough time to update the test
builds.

Klaus

P.S.: Host OS is irrelevant :D