[vbox-dev] Issues with host networking stack on 5.0.17

William Holroyd wholroyd at gmail.com
Wed Apr 27 14:24:14 GMT 2016

This ticket seems to be the closest to my issue -
https://www.virtualbox.org/ticket/15304

For example, the ability to ping a box when the problem occurs results in a
"GENERAL FAILURE" on each ping attempt. I've tried switching from NAT to
Bridged and the issue persists. From what I read, this looks to be an issue
with the new NDIS6 work for Windows 10 hosts. I did find that in one of the
Windows event logs, that every time the issue comes and goes, there is a
"network change" event. My guess is this filter ends up dieing somehow or
gets killed/reloaded, but there aren't any events saying so.

I have noticed since sending the prior email that if I have too many apps
with network connections open, this issue occurs more often. Simply closing
an app that I know persists a connection (or multiple) like HipChat or
Slack makes networking work again for a little while - and I can do this
inside the guest or on the host. It may seem like there is an artificial
limit that is somehow being hit in the NDIS adapter where it can't handle a
certain number of connections and fails for things that aren't already
established. I am certainly not doing anything excessive network wise, as
Windows can handle it just fine when I stop all of the VMs.

If there is a log somewhere I should check, or a method to start VirtualBox
to log issues with the NDIS adapter, please let me know. I'm more than
happy to help where I can.