[vbox-dev] Issues with host networking stack on 5.0.17

William Holroyd wholroyd at gmail.com
Thu Apr 21 14:50:36 GMT 2016

Hi there,

I didn't see a good place to provide feedback on test builds, so I'm trying
the email list.

I have a Windows 10 .14316 insider build for a host with a Fedora 23 guest.
The best way I can describe it is that the VirtualBox networking stack
fails to accept new outgoing connections from time to time that affects
both the host and the guest simultaneously. It appears that established
connectivity fails, but anything new will fall on it's face for a period of
a few seconds to a couple of minutes.

Windows event logging for every log I can think of that would effect
networking complains that connections couldn't be established or that DNS
lookups timed out, but nothing about all up failures in drivers or services
for when this occurs. Even the winsock ETL complains about connectivity
failures, but not driver or service failures (everything complains as
though the failure is elsewhere upstream).

I have another Windows 10 .14316 box that doesn't have this issue, but it
also doesn't have VirtualBox installed on it. I can get this troublesome
machine to work properly for extended periods of time if I uninstall
VirtualBox entirely. It seems to me something in the virtual switch (or
similar mechanism) is having issues trying to handle traffic between the
host and guests.

Is there any method I can use that might be able to tell me what is going
on in the virtual switch to see if it's having issues? It's the one thing I
have no insight into and that everything appears to be pointing to.

William