[vbox-dev] Using VirtualBox network drivers

Frank Mehnert frank.mehnert at oracle.com
Wed Jul 30 10:40:40 GMT 2014

Gary,

On Monday 28 July 2014 18:16:57 Gary Palter wrote:
> Well, I'm back again.
>
> Our application is using Linux bridging and a tap interface and it works
> under several flavors on Linux (Red Hat 5.8, Red Hat 6.5, Ubuntu 12.04).
> Our client is using it and is quite happy with it.
>
> Recently, however, I installed Mint 17, based on Ubuntu 14.04, and
> discovered that our application doesn't work.  Enabling logging, I can see
> that our application is receiving packets just fine.  However, packets that
> we write to the tap device aren't being forwarded to the bridge.  (The MAC
> address of our application never appears in brctl showmacs.)  Mint 17 is
> using a 3.13 kernel.  Do you know of any reason why this might stop
> working?  (If you want, I can send you the code we use to setup the tap
> device.)

your question is a bit unspecific. To understand your problem we need to
know more details about your setup. In particular how you use VirtualBox
and where the TAP devices come into play.

Kind regards,

Frank
--
Dr.-Ing. Frank Mehnert | Software Development Director, VirtualBox
ORACLE Deutschland B.V. & Co. KG | Werkstr. 24 | 71384 Weinstadt, Germany

Geschäftsführer: Jürgen Kunz

Geschäftsführer: Alexander van der Ven, Astrid Kepper, Val Maher