[vbox-dev] Windows hardening in 4.3.15

José Massada jose.massada at gmail.com
Tue Jul 29 13:53:06 GMT 2014

Hi,

The new hardening code breaks VirtualBox when trying to load a custom built
PDM module (VERR_LDRIV_NOT_SIGNED). This is a custom virtual PCI device
that we've been using for quite some time now.

I've looked at the code and I see that some unsigned dlls are being ignored
if they are in certain system paths. I tried loading it from
\\SystemRoot\\System32\\ but with no luck.

Linux version works fine when installed to a root owned system path.

Am I to assume that I'll have to, somehow, sign the dll?
Too much hardening maybe?

Cheers,
Jose