[vbox-dev] Windows hardening in 4.3.15

Klaus Espenlaub klaus.espenlaub at oracle.com
Tue Jul 29 18:43:06 GMT 2014

José,

On 29.07.2014 15:53, José Massada wrote:
> Hi,
>
> The new hardening code breaks VirtualBox when trying to load a custom
> built PDM module (VERR_LDRIV_NOT_SIGNED). This is a custom virtual PCI
> device that we've been using for quite some time now.

Yes, that signing requirement is a change which had to be done in 4.3.14.

> I've looked at the code and I see that some unsigned dlls are being
> ignored if they are in certain system paths. I tried loading it from
> \\SystemRoot\\System32\\ but with no luck.

There's no signing exemption for PDM modules, so there's no point in
moving them to such a directory.

> Linux version works fine when installed to a root owned system path.

That's comparing apples and oranges, as the systems have a vastly
different basic security system design and need different approaches for
hardening.

> Am I to assume that I'll have to, somehow, sign the dll?

Correct. You need a cert suitable for Windows kernel driver signing,
nothing else is accepted. There are very few CAs which offer this (as it
needs to be cross-signed by Microsoft).

> Too much hardening maybe?

No, this is intentional and required for the hardening to work. It won't
go away in future builds.

Klaus