[vbox-dev] Latest manual

Michael Thayer michael.thayer at oracle.com
Wed Oct 23 15:27:49 GMT 2013

Hello,

On 23/10/13 17:24, Klaus Espenlaub wrote:
> On 21.10.2013 23:55, MENGUAL Jean-Philippe wrote:
>>> If you are interested in maintaining both manuals - the 4.3 one and
>>> the development tree one - in parallel, one way would be for me to
>>> send an e-mail to this list before minor version releases saying which
>>> change sets from the trunk manual were back-ported to 4.3.  Then you
>>> could copy over the relevant sections of text from the trunk manual.
>>> Does that seem reasonable?  As I said, I think that considering the
>>> 4.3 manual translation as finished and just continuing work on trunk
>>> would also make sense if maintaining two versions is a pain.
>>>

>> I propose 2 alternatives:
>> 1. Give me the URK to checkout the 4.3 branch and, when there's a
>> change, simply notify me by mail (or notify here). I'll work then with
>> svn diff to patch.
>> 2. I go on trunk, and you apply changes there in 4.3 release. But I'm
>> not sure it's possible given the dev process of vbox.
>>
>> Hence: I propose the 1st alternative.
>
> Unfortunately there is no publicly accessible repository which contains
> any VirtualBox branches. It's a long-standing todo (and we want to get
> that done, to avoid any misunderstanding) which we couldn't complete
> because it needs quite some effort to make the involved tools smarter.
>
> Trunk and 4.3 will diverge relatively quickly, so 2. won't work in the
> long run.
As I mentioned though, there tend to be very few changes to the manual
after a release, so keeping up with trunk and manually copying the few
relevant text sections from trunk to the 4.3 manual might be an option.

Regards,

Michael
--
ORACLE Deutschland B.V. & Co. KG   Michael Thayer
Werkstrasse 24                     VirtualBox engineering
71384 Weinstadt, Germany           mailto:michael.thayer at oracle.com

Geschäftsführer: Jürgen Kunz

Geschäftsführer: Alexander van der Ven, Astrid Kepper, Val Maher