[vbox-dev] Latest manual

Klaus Espenlaub klaus.espenlaub at oracle.com
Wed Oct 23 15:24:49 GMT 2013

Hi Jean-Phillipe,

On 21.10.2013 23:55, MENGUAL Jean-Philippe wrote:
> Le 21/10/2013 09:12, Michael Thayer a écrit :
>> Hello Jean-Philippe,
>>
>> On 18/10/13 22:56, MENGUAL Jean-Philippe wrote:
>>> ok so what's the preferred solution now? How can I trigger the 4.3
>>> branch to update synchronously and, if possible, know when things
>>> change?
>> If you are interested in maintaining both manuals - the 4.3 one and
>> the development tree one - in parallel, one way would be for me to
>> send an e-mail to this list before minor version releases saying which
>> change sets from the trunk manual were back-ported to 4.3.  Then you
>> could copy over the relevant sections of text from the trunk manual.
>> Does that seem reasonable?  As I said, I think that considering the
>> 4.3 manual translation as finished and just continuing work on trunk
>> would also make sense if maintaining two versions is a pain.
>>

> I propose 2 alternatives:
> 1. Give me the URK to checkout the 4.3 branch and, when there's a
> change, simply notify me by mail (or notify here). I'll work then with
> svn diff to patch.
> 2. I go on trunk, and you apply changes there in 4.3 release. But I'm
> not sure it's possible given the dev process of vbox.
>
> Hence: I propose the 1st alternative.

Unfortunately there is no publicly accessible repository which contains
any VirtualBox branches. It's a long-standing todo (and we want to get
that done, to avoid any misunderstanding) which we couldn't complete
because it needs quite some effort to make the involved tools smarter.

Trunk and 4.3 will diverge relatively quickly, so 2. won't work in the
long run.

Klaus