[vbox-dev] Visual Studio multithreaded debugging broken in VirtualBox

Petr Vones petr.v at mujmail.cz
Tue May 7 18:26:24 GMT 2013

Ram,

thanks for reply. The issue is reported for various Intel CPUs only yet,
unfortunately there are probably few developers using AMD based machines.

There is valuable feedback to the issue https://www.virtualbox.org/ticket/9659
especially latest reports. To summarize it:

- it affects Visual Studio 2008, 2010, 2012 breakpoints in .NET code made via
Visual Studio code editor
- it does not affect breakpoints in native C++ code (at least has not been
confirmed yet)
- it does not depend on host OS, it is reported for Windows, Linux and Mac hosts
- it affects both x86 and x64 Windows guests
- it affects both x86 and x64 debugged process in x64 guest but the error
behavior is usually different
- the issue seems to be more visible and frequent with latest VirtualBox
versions 4.2.x

- disabling Nested Paging does not help
- setting single CPU only in virtual machine and VirtualBox.exe (host) process
CPU affinity to single CPU (via Task Manager -> Set Affinity) have noticeable
effect on the number of occurrences but the issue is still there anyway.

The most simple C# code example to always reproduce it is:
https://www.virtualbox.org/ticket/9659#comment:18

Hope this helps.

Petr