[vbox-dev] Visual Studio multithreaded debugging broken in VirtualBox

Ramshankar ramshankar.venkataraman at oracle.com
Thu May 2 21:22:59 GMT 2013

On 04/25/2013 01:16 AM, Petr Vones wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I would like to ask for help with following issue
> https://www.virtualbox.org/ticket/9659 Visual Studio 2010 and 2012 C# debugger
> crashes when debugs (multithread) applications in VirtualBox.
>
> There is 100% reproducible test case attached in the ticket including steps in
> ticket comment. I would like to continue to use VirtualBox for development
> (because it isn't resource hungry and I like the user interface) but this issue
> is blocking since it seriously affects debugger behavior. I have already
> reported it to Microsoft Visual Studio Debugger QA staff but their reply is that
> it is a VirtualBox issue so they can not fix that.
>
> Unfortunately the issue appears with VirtualBox only, it never happens with
> VMware. None of suggested workarounds (disabling Nested Paging, single CPU
> setting) actually helps. It is also weird it affects debugged application only
> and the access violation is still on the same address (see ticket comment) and
> not random.
>
> Could you please look on it ? Is there possibility to fix it or is it a 'corner
> case' that does not affect too much users and won't be fixed (soon) ?
>
> Thanks, Petr

Firstly, thank you for the report.

I will try test this later this week or next week, I'm hoping setting up
a test VM won't take long...

We're aware of issues involving hardware debug breakpoints and
exceptions (especially on Intel). Unfortunately, I cannot give you an
estimate of the fix.

Just one question: Is this restricted to Intel CPUs or does it happen on
AMD CPUs as well?
 From quickly skimming through the public report and a VBox.log uploaded
19 months ago, I gather it's only Intel but a confirmation would be nice.

Regards,
Ram.