[vbox-dev] The documentation is translated into French

Michael Thayer michael.thayer at oracle.com
Wed Feb 13 16:53:51 GMT 2013

Hello Jean-Philippe,

First things first - many thanks indeed!  Second things second - I
reworked the files you submitted a little to make them build.  The main
changes were re-saving some files as UTF-8 and replacing the   and
œ sequences which were not working, as well as updating
UserManual.xml.  I have made my updated versions available together with
the PDF output at

https://www.virtualbox.org/download/testcase/manual/

On 11/02/13 20:46, Jean-Philippe MENGUAL wrote:
> On Monday 11 Feb 2013 à 15:48:25 (+0100), Klaus Espenlaub wrote:
>> What's your platform? Windows? Linux? If we know those details it should
>> be reasonably simple for us to work out some steps which doesn't need
>> you to build the whole product tree (and have all prerequisites).
>
> I use Linux. Linux From Scratch. As translator of LFS book I have common docbook
> utilities for XML.
If you were able to get the configure script to finish then you should
be able to just do

$ kmk VBOX_DOCS_WITH_TRANSLATIONS=1

in the docs/manual directory to only build the documentation.  I hope
that will work in practice too!

>>> 2. Some review would be useful. I will let readers report the problems and
>>> I'll make an appeal to review, but it would be fine is a French-speaking here,
>>> for instance the people who translated the GUI, could review.
>>
>> Certainly... with a document of this size it's simply normal to have
>> some typos in the initial version. We'll see how fast we can manage to
>> find some native speakers to proofread.
>
> Cool. Thanks.
I added a message to the translation ticket on our bug tracker to get
the French translation maintainer's attention and hope that he sees it.
  Perhaps you might also try going onto the #vbox IRC channel on
freenode.net and just asking for French speakers, or to the
vbox-users-community mailing list or the forums?  See

https://www.virtualbox.org/wiki/Community

Thanks again!

Regards,

Michael