[vbox-dev] Virtualbox 4.2.4 fails to compile with alignment error

Frank Mehnert frank.mehnert at oracle.com
Mon Dec 17 15:06:48 GMT 2012

Maurice,

On Monday 17 December 2012 15:33:20 Maurice van der Pot wrote:
> I've been trying to get virtualbox-4.2.4 to compile on two 32-bit
> systems I have, but in both cases compilation fails when the alignment
> of the VGAState structure is checked in tstDeviceStructSize.cpp.
>
> I was hoping to fix this myself, but I'm missing some information.
>
> tstDeviceStructSize checks that the alignment of the Dev, lock and
> StatRZMemoryRead members of VGAState is 8, while it is in fact 4.
>
> What is the reason that an alignment of 8 bytes is required?
> Does this requirement also apply to (some of the) other members of the
> structure?

please share your compile flags. I assume you are using a debug
build, do you use any overrides in your LocalConfig.kmk?

Thanks,

Frank
--
Dr.-Ing. Frank Mehnert | Software Development Director, VirtualBox
ORACLE Deutschland B.V. & Co. KG | Werkstr. 24 | 71384 Weinstadt, Germany

Geschäftsführer: Jürgen Kunz

Geschäftsführer: Alexander van der Ven, Astrid Kepper, Val Maher