[vbox-dev] Virtualbox 4.2.4 fails to compile with alignment error

Maurice van der Pot griffon26 at kfk4ever.com
Mon Dec 17 21:00:39 GMT 2012

On Mon, Dec 17, 2012 at 04:06:48PM +0100, Frank Mehnert wrote:
> please share your compile flags. I assume you are using a debug
> build, do you use any overrides in your LocalConfig.kmk?

I have no C/CXX/CPP/LDFLAGS set myself. The problem occurs with both
debug and release builds and the only override I have in LocalConfig is
to not build the additions.

I think the problem occurs on my 32-bit machines because they are both
built without opengl. I see that the VGASTATE::IVBVACallbacks member is
not present when passing --disable-opengl.

On 64-bit this structure is 24 bytes in size and assuming it's all
pointers it'll probably be 12 bytes on 32-bit. This would explain why on
32-bit without opengl VGASTATE::Dev would not be 8-byte aligned.

> > What is the reason that an alignment of 8 bytes is required?
> > Does this requirement also apply to (some of the) other members of the
> > structure?

What I'm still unsure of is why certain members need this 8-byte
alignment.

Thanks,
Maurice.

--