[vbox-dev] Virtualbox 4.2.4 fails to compile with alignment error

Maurice van der Pot griffon26 at kfk4ever.com
Mon Dec 17 14:33:20 GMT 2012

Hello,

I've been trying to get virtualbox-4.2.4 to compile on two 32-bit
systems I have, but in both cases compilation fails when the alignment
of the VGAState structure is checked in tstDeviceStructSize.cpp.

I was hoping to fix this myself, but I'm missing some information.

tstDeviceStructSize checks that the alignment of the Dev, lock and
StatRZMemoryRead members of VGAState is 8, while it is in fact 4.

What is the reason that an alignment of 8 bytes is required?
Does this requirement also apply to (some of the) other members of the
structure?

Maurice.

--
Maurice van der Pot