[vbox-dev] Offer for testing of new VMlite features in exchange for Open-Sourcing them

Huihong Luo huisinro at yahoo.com
Sun Nov 13 17:11:29 GMT 2011

Hi Alexey,

Thanks for the offer. We will consider open source some of them, such as tseamless askbar. (as you know, we are also slow SLOWLY impl drag and drop feature)

The disk driver is based on our multiple year StorPort driver impl, if vbox team like it, we can provide a free license of binary to ship with vbox, with APIs, easy to integrate with GUI. This way, all vbox windows users can easily mount virtual disks. Our virtual disk is fastest impl in the world, have spends multi year efforts on Storport, http://www.vmlite.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=67&Itemid=177

As for the last feature, "ability to use physical HDD for new VM via GUI", not exactly correct, was the primary reason we did vmlite in the first place, trying to provide a sandbox to run all apps securely and separately. This is totally different from using a raw offline disk for a vm. It's using the currently running os instance. for example, you have Windows 7 as host running, also have the same os running inside a vm. The whole thing takes a couple of mins. This technology, we won't open source, or provide free binay. It depends on some level kernel drivers to do this.

Thanks,

- huihong