[vbox-dev] 3D Desktop Composition and Seamless Mode (Aero/Kwin3D/GNOME-shell/Unity3D)

Alexey Eromenko al4321 at gmail.com
Thu Nov 17 12:48:15 GMT 2011

I know, I know, this is not supported... but... it seems there is a
way to support it:

KDE 4.7 new:
"KWin now features an option for application developers to suspend
compositing when a fullscreen application calls for it. This should
increase performance for OpenGL games and GPU-accelerated video
playback."
http://kde.org/announcements/4.7/platform.php

Something similar is possible for WinVista and Windows 7 Aero too. Not
sure about Unity and GNOME, but we can try opening wishes, if needed.

Basically when entering Seamless mode, VBox can request guest OS to
return to 2D mode.

--
-Alexey Eromenko "Technologov"