[vbox-dev] wddm driver

Mikhail Sennikovsky mikhail.sennikovsky at oracle.com
Tue Sep 21 11:37:36 GMT 2010

  You're right, we already have a kind-of working wddm driver for 32bit
Vista & 7. The major advantage of wddm driver is that no system files
replacement is needed any more and thus no safe mode guest addition
install is required. Also Aero theme can now be enabled in guests.
The major concern so far is performance and we're working on it.
Alexey Eromenko already gave you a brief explanation on how guest 3d
works. I can only add that wddm driver still uses wined3d internally and
translates d3d requests to opengl commands being passed to host via
"Chromium".

Mikhail