[vbox-dev] Compile failure with latest OSE from svn

walt w41ter at gmail.com
Fri Jun 25 01:33:27 GMT 2010

Hi team,

My compile failures differ between my amd64 machine and my x86 machine.

On x86 (for the last week or so) I get this error (gcc-4.4.3):

kBuild: Compiling tstInlineAsmPIC - /home/wa1ter/src/vbox/src/VBox/Runtime/testcase/tstInlineAsm.cpp
/home/wa1ter/src/vbox/include/iprt/asm-amd64-x86.h: In function ‘void tstASMCpuId()’:
/home/wa1ter/src/vbox/include/iprt/asm-amd64-x86.h:490: error: can't find a register in class ‘CLOBBERED_REGS’ while reloading ‘asm’
/home/wa1ter/src/vbox/include/iprt/asm-amd64-x86.h:490: error: ‘asm’ operand has impossible constraints

On my amd64, however, the latest OSE-svn compiles and runs perfectly BUT ONLY
after I apply a patch posted to this list on June 1 by Bernhard Fröhlich:
http://vbox.innotek.de/pipermail/vbox-dev/attachments/20100505/235a870c/attachment.obj

I hope I'm not confusing anyone by mentioning two different compile failures
in this one message.  Bernhard's patch has nothing to do with the CLOBBERED_REGS
problem.  It fixes a different compile failure that occurs only on my amd64 machine
with gcc-4.4.4.

The point is that the CLOBBERED_REGS failure does NOT happen on my amd64 (as long as
I apply Bernhard's patch) but DOES happen on x86/gcc-4.4.3.

Sorry if this is confusing to you.  I can bisect down to the exact svn commit that
caused the compile failure if you need me to, but I'm hoping the problem will be
obvious to you already :)

Thanks.

BTW, I'm running Linus's mainline kernel from his git repo on both machines,
2.6.35-rc3