[vbox-dev] Compile failure with latest OSE from svn

Frank Mehnert Frank.Mehnert at Sun.COM
Fri Jun 25 06:21:20 GMT 2010

On Friday 25 June 2010, walt wrote:
> Hi team,
>
> My compile failures differ between my amd64 machine and my x86 machine.
>
> On x86 (for the last week or so) I get this error (gcc-4.4.3):
>
> kBuild: Compiling tstInlineAsmPIC -
> /home/wa1ter/src/vbox/src/VBox/Runtime/testcase/tstInlineAsm.cpp
> /home/wa1ter/src/vbox/include/iprt/asm-amd64-x86.h: In function ‘void
> tstASMCpuId()’: /home/wa1ter/src/vbox/include/iprt/asm-amd64-x86.h:490:
> error: can't find a register in class ‘CLOBBERED_REGS’ while reloading
> ‘asm’ /home/wa1ter/src/vbox/include/iprt/asm-amd64-x86.h:490: error: ‘asm’
> operand has impossible constraints
>
> On my amd64, however, the latest OSE-svn compiles and runs perfectly BUT
> ONLY after I apply a patch posted to this list on June 1 by Bernhard
> Fröhlich:
> http://vbox.innotek.de/pipermail/vbox-dev/attachments/20100505/235a870c/att
>achment.obj

Yes, sorry, so far we had no time yet to evaluate this patch for
possible regressions. We will do this ASAP.

> I hope I'm not confusing anyone by mentioning two different compile
> failures in this one message.  Bernhard's patch has nothing to do with the
> CLOBBERED_REGS problem.  It fixes a different compile failure that occurs
> only on my amd64 machine with gcc-4.4.4.
>
> The point is that the CLOBBERED_REGS failure does NOT happen on my amd64
> (as long as I apply Bernhard's patch) but DOES happen on x86/gcc-4.4.3.
>
> Sorry if this is confusing to you.  I can bisect down to the exact svn
> commit that caused the compile failure if you need me to, but I'm hoping
> the problem will be obvious to you already :)

To my knowledge this problem happens only with gcc 4.4 (AFAIK gcc 4.3
and gcc 4.5 compile this fine). The current workaround is either to add

  VBOX_WITH_TESTCASES =

to your LocalConfig.kmk in the VBox source root directory or to disable
this specific testcase in the appropirate Makefile.kmk manually. And
amd64 is not affected as this architecture has more available registers...

We will address this problem shortly.

Kind regards,

Frank
--
Dr.-Ing. Frank Mehnert

Sitz der Gesellschaft:
Sun Microsystems GmbH, Sonnenallee 1, 85551 Kirchheim-Heimstetten
Amtsgericht München: HRB 161028
Geschäftsführer: Jürgen Kunz