[vbox-dev] VirtualBox Load HGCM Host Service

Christian Pötzsch Christian.Poetzsch at Sun.COM
Fri Jun 18 06:01:51 GMT 2010

Hi,

for development purposes you should disable hardening. Use
--disable-hardening for that. If you want ship the resulting OSE package
you have to enable hardening again and therefor you have to add your new
file to SUPR3HardenedVerify.cpp.

Christian

On 6/18/10 2:07 AM, Anirudh Bagde wrote:
> I managed to build from scratch VirtualBox OSE. It wasn't building
> before because some dev packages needed to be installed. I modified
> ConsoleImpl2.cpp to load my library and rebuilt VBoxC.so. However, in
> the log file, I get:
>
> 00:00:00.834 supR3HardenedLdrLoadIt: Verification of
> "/usr/src/virtualbox-ose-3.2.0-src/out/linux.x86/release/bin/VBoxBetterSeamless.so"
> failed, rc=VERR_NOT_FOUND
>
> I looked in the source files and I saw that my file apparently wasn't in
> a verification table (g_aSupInstallFiles) in file
> SUPR3HardenedVerify.cpp. Must my build of VBox OSE not be hardened
> before I can do this, or should I modify SUPR3HardenedVerify.cpp to
> include my library?
>

> On Tue, Jun 15, 2010 at 5:43 PM, Anirudh Bagde <anidev.aelico at gmail.com
> <mailto:anidev.aelico at gmail.com>> wrote:
>
>     Thanks for your information. Does this mean I have to modify and
>     rebuild part of VirtualBox OSE?
>
>     I didn't actually build it myself. I used aptitude to download and
>     install the package virtualbox-ose. So what should I do from here?
>
>     Thanks again.
>

>     On Tue, Jun 15, 2010 at 3:11 AM, Andreas - Sun Microsystems
>     <pentagonik at sun.com <mailto:pentagonik at sun.com>> wrote:
>
>         Hi,
>
>         you need to have Main load your service; take a look into
>         src/VBox/Main/ConsoleImpl2.cpp, around
>
>         .
>         .
>         .
>         #ifdef VBOX_WITH_GUEST_PROPS
>             /*
>              * Guest property service
>              */
>
>             rc = configGuestProperties(pConsole);
>         #endif /* VBOX_WITH_GUEST_PROPS defined */
>         .
>         .
>

>         or
>
>         .
>         .
>         .
>         Console::configGuestProperties(void *pvConsole)
>         .
>         .
>         .
>
>         That's how we load the service for handling the guest properties.
>
>         Hope this helps,
>         -Andreas.
>

>             My host is Ubuntu Lucid with VirtualBox OSE and my guest is
>             Windows XP
>             SP3 with VirtualBox (not ose).
>
>             I want to create a set of programs that will make the VirtualBox
>             seamless mode work better. To do this, I had to learn how to
>             use the
>             HGCM. I wrote a small test program for the guest side using
>             C++ and
>             building it with Visual Studio C++ 2010 Express on Windows.
>             It used
>             DeviceIoControl to connect and disconnect to the
>             VBoxSharedClipboard
>             service. It seemed to work, i.e. info.result ==
>             VINF_SUCCESS. However,
>             info.u32ClientID == 0.

> [...]

Dr. Christian Pötzsch   --    http://www.sun.com/

Sitz der Gesellschaft: Sun Microsystems GmbH,
Sonnenallee 1, D-85551 Kirchheim-Heimstetten
Amtsgericht München: HRB 161028
Geschäftsführer: Jürgen Kunz