[vbox-dev] 4.0 release cycle

Alexey Eromenko al4321 at gmail.com
Tue Dec 7 00:28:50 GMT 2010

On Tue, Dec 7, 2010 at 1:55 AM, Geoff Nordli <geoffn at gnaa.net> wrote:
> I am trying to make a decision is we should start porting our app over to
> 4.0 from the 3.2 series
>

> 3.2 debuted June 2009, and we are looking at an 18 month dev cycle to a
> production grade release.  It seems there was a lot of core functionality
> delivered during the 3.2 series, which takes a lot longer to bake.
>
> When I look at the feature set on 4.0, I don’t see the same level core
> changes.  It seems to be more focused on fixing some of the usability issues
> (like media management).  I would expect this version to stabilize a lot
> sooner than the 3.2 series.
>

> Do you agree?

Disagree.
1. v3.2.0 BETA released on Apr.2010, so we talk about 8 month release cycle.
2. v3.2 had more new Enterprise-class features, while v4.0 has more
new User-oriented features. (Aero, better 3D graphics, ...)

Overall the amount of new stuff is not small for both releases.

--
-Alexey Eromenko "Technologov"