[vbox-dev] Maximum number of host-only network adapters

Christophe Devriese christophe.devriese at gmail.com
Mon Aug 2 17:08:32 GMT 2010

On Mon, Aug 2, 2010 at 6:42 PM, Geoff Nordli <geoffn at gnaa.net> wrote:

> What about using "internal" networks?
>
> That is what we use and I am pretty sure there are no limitations to the
> number of Internal networks.  They are also dynamically managed by vbox.
>
> The problem with these is that they can't communicate with the host, so
they cannot have connectivity to the outside. Host-only networks allow for a
nice "correct" (ie layer-3) network setup. What exactly are you using them
for ?

>From a performance standpoint it doesn't seem to matter much which I use. In
all 3 configurations I am able to comfortably fill a 100 mbit interface on
my machine (nat, host-only, and tap). I guess I can deal with using bridged
tap interfaces.

I guess I'll have a few "os.popen" calls in my scripts from now on then.

Christophe