[vbox-dev] VirtualBox Python Automation Support

Robert Ramsay robert.alan.ramsay at gmail.com
Sat Apr 10 01:14:46 GMT 2010

Hello everyone,

I'm working on some VirtualBox automation with Python. The API is
great but I'm having separate issues on two different host platforms.
The guest OS is Windows XP.

First issue is on a Windows 7 64bit host. I get an error trying to get
a screenshot with takeScreenShotSlow:
com_error: (-2147352567, 'Exception occurred.', (0, u'Display',
u'Argument aScreenData is NULL', None, 0, -2147024809),None)
Which before in the vbox-dev archives was established as a problem
with the COM parameters. I didn't see how it was resolved, but I
believe the suggestion was to recompile the IDL.

Second issue is for the Ubuntu 9.10 64bit host. I can successfully get
the screenshot. But I can't control the mouse or keyboard through the
Python API: putMouseEventAbsolute and putScancode. There isn't any
error, but the code that works on the Windows host fails to give any
response on the Linux host.

Any help with either issue would be greatly appreciated.

Robert Ramsay