[vbox-dev] GuestAddtions OSE: VBoxService.exe does not start

Sebastian Brandt sbrandt at gmx.de
Thu Sep 17 12:14:27 GMT 2009

Andreas - Sun Microsystems wrote:
> Sebastian,
Hi,

> I tried out VBoxService using OSE sources and took a look into your log
> file as well -- it all works like it should on my system.
>
> Maybe you're misunderstanding the way VBoxService gets started/operates?
> If you just call (on Windows: doubleclick or over command line)
> VBoxService.exe the service control dispatcher gets involved which then
> leads to the described error you reported. This is not actually an error
> but has to be implemented like this to get VBoxService handled correctly
> with the Windows SCM.
No,
I'm installing it as a server and starting it as a service.
Otherwise, I -- correctly -- get an error message.

> To manually call VBoxService you have to call it with the "-f" option
> (foreground), which then does not involve the service control dispatcher
> at all.
This would be the other possibility, putting it into autostart - but then,
the service does not run w/o a user logged in ... and the console window is
always open ..

When I replace the 306-vboxservice.exe with the 224 one, the service starts
w/o any problems. So, if the fact that it is a service has not been changed
between 224 and 30x ...

So, it's somewhere in the driver handling - dependencies? different
installation Flags? the datastructure passed to the service control method
invalid? an init callback method that does not return?

Thanks,
Sebastian