[vbox-dev] GuestAddtions OSE: VBoxService.exe does not start

Andreas - Sun Microsystems pentagonik at sun.com
Tue Sep 15 11:40:59 GMT 2009

Sebastian,

I tried out VBoxService using OSE sources and took a look into your log
file as well -- it all works like it should on my system.

Maybe you're misunderstanding the way VBoxService gets started/operates?
If you just call (on Windows: doubleclick or over command line)
VBoxService.exe the service control dispatcher gets involved which then
leads to the described error you reported. This is not actually an error
but has to be implemented like this to get VBoxService handled correctly
with the Windows SCM.

To manually call VBoxService you have to call it with the "-f" option
(foreground), which then does not involve the service control dispatcher
at all.

If you still found a bug and/or something is unclear please don't
hesitate to ask.

Cheers,
-Andreas.