[vbox-dev] Arrangement of EPT structures with SMP

Sander van Leeuwen Sander.Vanleeuwen at Sun.COM
Thu Oct 29 20:19:43 GMT 2009

The EPT structures are shared between all VCPUs as they contain a guest
physical to host physical mapping, which
is independent of the VCPU. The host OS is irrelevant.

Tom Birch wrote:
> I'm looking through the page management code, specifically hardware
> acceleration on Intel with EPT, and I can't quite figure out the
> high-level relationships between various structures. Both the VMCS and
> EPTP seem to be per-PVMCPU data structures, does this mean that within
> a single VM, you can have multiple distinct EPTPs (on different
> VCpus), or is this arrangement just a consequence of the way shadow
> paging worked before EPT? Put another way, can I guarantee that all
> VCpus within a single VM will all share the same EPTP? I'm mainly
> concerned about how this applies to Darwin if that matters, but I
> seems like a fairly Host-OS-agnostic feature.
>
> cheers,
> Tom

Kind regards / Mit freundlichen Gruessen / Met vriendelijke groet

--

Sun Microsystems GmbH        Sander van Leeuwen
Werkstrasse 24               Senior Staff Engineer, VirtualBox
71384 Weinstadt, Germany     mailto:Sander.Vanleeuwen at sun.com

Sitz der Gesellschaft: Sun Microsystems GmbH,
Sonnenallee 1, 85551 Kirchheim-Heimstetten
Amtsgericht Muenchen: HRB 161028
Geschaeftsfuehrer: Thomas Schroeder,
Wolfgang Engels, Dr. Roland Boehmer