[vbox-dev] grabbing text mode output

Lonnie Princehouse finite.automaton at gmail.com
Sun Oct 12 00:11:51 GMT 2008

Hello,

I'm using VBox to help develop a research OS.  VBox is great tool for this,
and it's significantly sped up my development cycle -- so many thanks to
everyone responsible :)

My current situation is that I have no working disk or network driver for
the client OS, but I need to get debugging info somehow. It runs in text
mode, so I want to hack the VirtualBox-OSE graphics emulator to dump
text-mode output into a file on the (Linux) host.

I've poked around in vbox/src/VBox/Devices/Graphics; it's not immediately
obvious where the display text is stored, but I think I can figure that
out.  I have two questions for the gurus before I try this-

1.Is this crazy?

2. I'll need the Intel PRO/1000 MT emulation eventually, which appears to
only be available for the non-OSE VirtualBox.  Assuming I can get my hacked
graphics emulation working, is there any way I can use it with Sun's
VirtualBox, or any way to use the Intel PRO/1000 MT emulation with
VirtualBox-OSE?

Thanks!