[vbox-dev] OT: Desmond, here's why writing vbox-users will help VBox work on FreeBSD sooner (was: Klaus & Wal)

Desmond Chapman que_deseja at hotmail.com
Sat Oct 11 05:28:33 GMT 2008

Read my statement within this reply to your email. It needs to be read by the list so that they will not make such a mistake as you did.
> Date: Fri, 10 Oct 2008 12:58:16 -0400
> From: jasonspiro2 at gmail.com
> To: que_deseja at hotmail.com
> Subject: OT: Desmond, here's why writing vbox-users will help VBox work on FreeBSD sooner (was: Klaus & Wal)
> CC: vbox-dev at virtualbox.org
>
> 2008/10/10 Desmond Chapman  wrote:
>> 3) I am going to try importing linux headers. I will post the results or mail
>> them directly to certain peoples [who subscribe to] the list.
>
> Klaus and Knut are developers.  They have given us a free gift:
> VirtualBox, for Windows and Linux, for free, with source code.  Knut
> told you, "If you cannot help out getting the driver working, please
> do not post build problems or patches for FreeBSD. Fixing the build is
> easy and it's not what we need help with."
>
> In return for their free gift:
>
> 1.  We kindly ask that you not post anything related to building VBox
> on FreeBSD to this list.  Post it to
> http://www.virtualbox.org/mailman/listinfo/vbox-users instead.
> 2.  We kindly ask that you not mail such things to any list members
> without also CC'ing the list, unless you ask the members for
> permission first and they agree.

Read your statement below

> Here is why:
>
> You would like VBox to work on FreeBSD soon.  I think that also would
> be nice.  It is difficult to notice this by email, but I think they
> are probably angry because you disrespected their requests several
> times.  Every time you disrespect their requests do that, you probably
> make them angrier.  They may associate their anger with FreeBSD.

> Every time they think of FreeBSD, they may think of you and get angry
> again.  This will discourage them from porting VBox to FreeBSD or
> hiring somebody who can.

If they do so, it will be generalizing a group of people based on the impression of a single person. This is the same attitude that racists have.  Try not to stereotype. I'm sure that SUN doesn't want their product to be associated with such ideas. These statements that you made bothered me greatly.