[vbox-dev] Help building VBox on WinXP - understanding toolchain

Doug biteme at bitbasher.net
Wed Mar 26 05:55:06 GMT 2008

Heya thanks for that link!  I'll download and try it out.

It looks like I have to first compile QT/win before I can use it as a tool for
VBox, but the QT build instructions don't look too weird.  Hopefully this will
work.

I'm going to try out qt 3.3.5-5 as it seems about the right time.  If you've
got this to work and if you used a different qt version please let me know
just in case 3.3.5-5 doesn't work well.

Thanks!!!
Doug.

In article <47E8BC6A.80308 at sun.com>, Andreas.L at Sun.COM
says...

>Hi Doug,
>
>there is a free implementation of Qt/win 3.3.x as Open Source, based on
>the last Trolltech's Qt/x11 3.3.x branch, which is also Open Source.
>Using this package, it is possible to find Qt with the "configure.vbs"
>script and compile the VirtualBox frontend.
>
>Take a look here: http://qtwin.sourceforge.net/
>
>Regards,
>Andreas
>

>Doug wrote:
>> Well, I worked with this for 1.5 days on the weekend and I've concluded
that
>> the average developer cannot build VirtualBox for Windows.
>>
>> I got all the tools installed that are listed in the prerequisites and
>> configure.vbs finds them all.  Then configure.vbs ABORTS because of QT.
>>
>> It appears (to me) that VirtualBox uses an older (and now unavailable)
>> proprietary version of QT/win 3.3.x but the current publicly available
>> versions of QT are version 4.x and greater.
>>
>> It seems that VirtualBox is not compatible with QT 4.x and only works with
the
>> not-available QT 3.3.x versions.
>>
>> I did ready the section in the build instructions about the issue with QT.
At