[vbox-dev] Help building VBox on WinXP - understanding toolchain

andreas.l@sun.com Andreas.L at Sun.COM
Tue Mar 25 08:48:42 GMT 2008

Hi Doug,

there is a free implementation of Qt/win 3.3.x as Open Source, based on
the last Trolltech's Qt/x11 3.3.x branch, which is also Open Source.
Using this package, it is possible to find Qt with the "configure.vbs"
script and compile the VirtualBox frontend.

Take a look here: http://qtwin.sourceforge.net/

Regards,
Andreas

Doug wrote:
> Well, I worked with this for 1.5 days on the weekend and I've concluded that
> the average developer cannot build VirtualBox for Windows.
>
> I got all the tools installed that are listed in the prerequisites and
> configure.vbs finds them all.  Then configure.vbs ABORTS because of QT.
>
> It appears (to me) that VirtualBox uses an older (and now unavailable)
> proprietary version of QT/win 3.3.x but the current publicly available
> versions of QT are version 4.x and greater.
>
> It seems that VirtualBox is not compatible with QT 4.x and only works with the
> not-available QT 3.3.x versions.
>
> I did ready the section in the build instructions about the issue with QT.  At
> first I didn't understand the problem (because the documentation was written
> by a developer who was VERY familiar with the tools).  After doing a bit of
> internet snooping it seems that the TOOLS NEEDED TO BUILD VIRTUALBOX FOR
> WINDOWS ARE NOT AVAILABLE.  Please correct me if I'm wrong, but I cannot find
> any versions of QT 3.3.x that VirtualBox needs to work.
>
> So now the question becomes, is it even possible for someone other than
> Innotek/Sun to build VBox for Windows if they haven't purchased the QT 3.3.x
> toolkit?  Also note that Trolltech no longer supports QT versions < 4.0.
>
> Doug.
>

> In article <F6258B02585E474B97BDF70C70B840DC at DavidLaptop>,
> mykeysdavid at gmail.com says...
>
>> If you plan using MinGW only for VirtualBox, then there are folders that can
>> be used.
>>
>> Go to the root VirtualBox directory, then go to "tools/win.x86". Here you
>> create the following directory structure, in addition of the already
>> existing directories.
>>
>> win.x86
>> -mingw32
>> --v3.3.3
>> ---(all the files of MinGW except the Win32 API stuff)
>> -w32api
>> --v2.5
>> ---(The win32 API stuff)
>>
>> Then you run again the configure.vbs script and it should detect MinGW
>> without any supplemental configuration.

Andreas Loeffler
System Software Engineer, VirtualBox
Sun Microsystems GmbH
Werkstrasse 24
71384 Weinstadt, Germany
phone: +49 7151 604050

Sitz der Gesellschaft: Sun Microsystems GmbH,
Sonnenallee 1, 85551 Kirchheim-Heimstetten
Amtsgericht Muenchen: HRB 161028
Geschaeftsfuehrer: Thomas Schroeder,
Wolfgang Engels, Dr. Roland Boehmer