[vbox-dev] Help building VBox on WinXP - understanding toolchain

Doug biteme at bitbasher.net
Tue Mar 25 04:52:03 GMT 2008

Well, I worked with this for 1.5 days on the weekend and I've concluded that
the average developer cannot build VirtualBox for Windows.

I got all the tools installed that are listed in the prerequisites and
configure.vbs finds them all.  Then configure.vbs ABORTS because of QT.

It appears (to me) that VirtualBox uses an older (and now unavailable)
proprietary version of QT/win 3.3.x but the current publicly available
versions of QT are version 4.x and greater.

It seems that VirtualBox is not compatible with QT 4.x and only works with the
not-available QT 3.3.x versions.

I did ready the section in the build instructions about the issue with QT.  At
first I didn't understand the problem (because the documentation was written
by a developer who was VERY familiar with the tools).  After doing a bit of
internet snooping it seems that the TOOLS NEEDED TO BUILD VIRTUALBOX FOR
WINDOWS ARE NOT AVAILABLE.  Please correct me if I'm wrong, but I cannot find
any versions of QT 3.3.x that VirtualBox needs to work.

So now the question becomes, is it even possible for someone other than
Innotek/Sun to build VBox for Windows if they haven't purchased the QT 3.3.x
toolkit?  Also note that Trolltech no longer supports QT versions < 4.0.

Doug.

In article <F6258B02585E474B97BDF70C70B840DC at DavidLaptop>,
mykeysdavid at gmail.com says...