[vbox-dev] Newer revisions not compiling on Debian Lenny

walt w41ter at gmail.com
Mon Dec 22 14:19:03 GMT 2008

On Mon, 22 Dec 2008, André Neves wrote:

> Hi Walt,
>
> I couldn't find anything related to enabling 32-bit emulation on my system
> which I hadn't already done. Also, configure successfully passes the test
> "Checking for 32-bit support". Are you positive that the problem lies there?

Here's a snippet of the configure script:

# Check if we are able to build 32-bit applications (needed for the guest
additions)
#
check_32bit()
{
  test_header "32-bit support"
  cat > .tmp_src.c << EOF        <------ This test is a c program, not c++
#include <stdint.h>
int main(void)
{
  return 0;
}

I think the configure script should also test for 32-bit c++ support because
I got caught in exactly the same trap a few weeks ago.

Your problem is that Lenny is looking only at the 64-bit c++ libs, and I'm
not sure why.  Debian's package system always did confuse me completely, so
I'm not sure what packages you need to install to get the 32-bit libs.

Here is what I have:
/usr/lib/gcc/x86_64-pc-linux-gnu/4.1.2/32/libstdc++.so.6.0.8  <-- 32-bits
/usr/lib/gcc/x86_64-pc-linux-gnu/4.1.2/libstdc++.so.6.0.8

The gcc compiler package for gentoo comes with both 32-bit and 64-bit c++
libs, but both in the x86_64 directory, which is a bit confusing.

Somehow you need to get those libraries and make sure that the compiler
can find them, and your problem should be solved.

BTW, those GC binaries are also linked to other 32-bit libs, like libm
and libc, which don't come with the gcc package.  Those come with the
glibc package for gentoo so I didn't need to do anything to get them.
But with Debian, I dunno.