[vbox-dev] VirtualBox, the Build System and the frameworks

Alexey Eremenko al4321 at gmail.com
Mon Dec 22 08:58:01 GMT 2008

Hello VirtualBox Developers !

I would like you to shed the light upon the Build System, which will
result in better understanding on the development process of
VirtualBox for the whole community.

For example I don't really know how VBox team manages to build all the
packages for all the operating-systems at once - which build systems
you use... but given the complexity of the project I presume it's
something advanced.

So a few questions:
1. A framework used to compile:
Is it "buildbot" or something homegrown ? In which language written ?
(I presume it is Python, because your SDK written in that language,
which points to better in-house expertise with this language)

2. Does your build system creates installers automatically on Windows
hosts (Windows setup) ?
Does it creates packages for UNIX hosts? Or packaging is handled by
different framework ?

3. Does your regression test framework is the same one that builds
packages or it is different ?

I would be very helpful for giving a bit of transparency.
--
-Alexey Eromenko "Technologov"