[vbox-dev] SVN Trunk does not build on OS X

Frank Mehnert Frank.Mehnert at Sun.COM
Wed Aug 13 13:38:47 GMT 2008

Mike,

On Monday 11 August 2008, Mike Martin wrote:
> Recent changes to src/VBox/Main/darwin/iokit.cpp have broken the SVN build.
>
> The DARWIN_IOKIT_* macros, and the darwinDictGet* functions, are only
> defined if VBOX_WITH_USB is defined. However, the DVD and Ethernet code
> make use of these routines and macros.
>
> Moving the #ifdef VBOX_WITH_USB check from just before darwinDictIsPresent
> down to just after the line: #endif /* helpers for dumping registry
> dictionaries */

Some of my colleagues fixed this problem yesterday though I cannot
test it. Please complain if the current SVN still doesn't build for you.

> While tracking this down, however, I also found that the logging macros
> themselves are a little problematic: the first DARWIN_IOKIT_LOG - which is
> the one that is normally used - isn't modeling varargs the same way its
> alternatives are. The parens in Log(a) look like they should be removed.

Note that the Log macro is normally used with two parentheses (for
example, Log(("foo")). AFAIR the reason is to make passing varargs in
macros compatible between MSC and gcc.

> Also, in the final set of options, LOG is defined twice and LOG_FLUSH is
> never defined. Even though those defines can never be compiled, it still
> looks wrong.

Fixed.

> I can produce a patch for these now if desired, but in the meantime, moving
> the #ifdef VBOX_WITH_USB line will suffice to let the SVN build work.

Thanks for your report!

Kind regards,

Frank
--