[vbox-dev] OpenGL Additions

Sander van Leeuwen sandervl at innotek.de
Tue Aug 28 07:27:43 GMT 2007

Performance isn't optimal right now as there's a lot of excessive buffer
copying and rescheduling. The current
code is just a proof of concept. When things calm down here, I'll try to
find some time to rewrite it to use command
and display buffers in guest VRAM.

Opengl extentions are pretty much unused right now. Only the basic
functions are implemented. We have to look at the
various opensource solutions to see which one fits best.

Ticket 475 contains all the information you need to get the OpenGL ICD
up and running. What is missing?

Ranando King wrote:
> I noticed that when I looked throught the code. That stuff is a nightmare to
> trace through!!!  But anyway, I 've been using a demo/benchmark program I
> found at http://www.glexcess.com/defaultn.asp to test how well the
> implementation is working. As of tonight's SVN, I haven't been able to
> reproduce the problem I mentioned.
>
> At the same time, I'm getting very low frame rates. By low, I mean less than
> 10 in many cases on this application when I run it full screen at
> 1280x1024x32. I did notice something when I ran it at 640x480x32. It seemed
> to run relatively smooth for short periods, then slow down. At the same time,
> the fps meter would show high frame rates during the slow period and low
> rates during the smooth period. I guess I still don't have the OpenGL
> extensions configured properly. I followed the instructions from bug report
> 475 in my attempt to configure.
>
> So if someone will please list the instructions for configuring the OpenGL
> additions after building them, I would greatly appreciate it.
>
> R.
>
> On Monday 27 August 2007 06:40, you wrote:
>
>> Hi Ranando,
>>
>> I haven't seen that behaviour here yet. Typically applications use a
>> blocking flush to empty the command queue
>> and that blocks the thread in the guest OS as well.
>>
>> Ranando King wrote:
>>
>>> Never mind. I commented out some restricting lines in VMMDevInterface.cpp
>>> and got it going. But I'm noticing something. I'm using the GLXS
>>> benchmark to test performance. While the benchmark is reporting something
>>> between 20 & 115 fps for complex scenes, I cansee that the display is not
>>> keeping up. The display appears to be giving me something more akin to
>>> 3-5 fps. When I look in the log file for the running session, I see a lot
>>> of this:

Kind regards / mit freundlichen Gruessen / Met vriendelijke groet
  Sander van Leeuwen

innoTek GmbH
http://www.innotek.de
Germany