Ticket #7911 (closed defect: obsolete)
Data loss when writing to hidden file within a shared folder
|Reported by:||tliebig||Owned by:|
|Version:||VirtualBox 4.0.0||Keywords:||hidden file, file attribues, data loss|
Description (last modified by aeichner) (diff)
Setup Host: Win7 Home Premium 32bit Guest: Turnkey LAMP 11.0 RC (Ubuntu Lucid Lynx) Virtualbox: 4.0.0
Error Description: When writing to a hidden file within a shared folder from the host, Virtualbox reports permission problems and ultimately empties the file.
Steps to reproduce:
- Setup Guest system
- Install Guest addititions
- Create a shared folder on host and mount it in guest
- Create a file within the shared folder from the Host (Windows) and set it's attributes to "hidden" (filename e.g. being ".htaccess")
- write some data into the file through the host
- check the file's content through the guest (all fine)
- then, modify the file and try to save it
- upon that, the system reports an permission error
- when the file is opened again after that, through either the host or the guest, the file is empty
- to verify that the error stems from the attribute, just remove the hidden attribute through the host, and save some data into file through the guest afterwards - upon which everything works as expected.
Notice: This error has been in Virtualbox for at least one year. The new 4.0.0 caused me to reevaluate the version, unfortunately with no success. Here's hoping that someone with more knowledge than me gets hold of this ticket and manages to track down/fix the exact issue.