Ticket #7294 (closed defect: fixed)
compacting virtual disk corrupts disk => fixed in SVN
|Reported by:||hqstevenson||Owned by:|
HOST: Windows 7 64-bit GUEST: CentOS 5.5 64-bit
Steps I used to reproduce:
- Install CentOS in VM
- Allow CentOS to download updates
- Install zerofree in VM
- reboot to runlevel 1
- ran the following commands mount -n -o remount,ro -t ext3 /dev/mapper/VolGroup00-LogVol00 / zerofree /dev/mapper/VolGroup00-LogVol00 mount -n -o remount -t ext3 /dev/mapper/VolGroup00-LogVol00 / reboot
- After successful reboot, showdown the VM and run VBoxManage modifyhd --compact <virtualdisk.vdi>
- Now when I try and boot the VM the first time, the screen resizes for the X login, but it stays black and nothing is ever displayed. After resetting the virtual machine, I get a "Kernel panic - not syncing: Attempted to kill init!"
One other note - this process works just fine with the IDE virtual controller/disks. I've tested with IDE, SATA and SAS virtual disks, and the error occurs with both the SATA and SAS disk types.
I'll attach all the vbox.log files for the test run with a SAS virtual disk.
- Component changed from other to virtual disk
- Summary changed from compacting virtual disk corrupts disk to compacting virtual disk corrupts disk => fixed in SVN