Ticket #6223 (closed defect: fixed)
guest windows 7 (32 or 64 bit) almost hangs when changing guest network card settings => fixed in svn
|Reported by:||mhanor||Owned by:|
|Version:||VirtualBox 3.1.4||Keywords:||guest hangs windows 7 network 82540EM|
Description (last modified by frank) (diff)
Host: XP SP3 32 bit, fully updated, E6400, 2GB RAM
Guest: Windows 7 RTM, 32 bit unpatched, 64 bit unpatched, then patched; all clean install, no guest additions, no other programs/drivers; VT enabled, 1 virtual cpu, 512MB guest RAM, 2D/3D acceleration disabled, two Intel 82540EM network adapters enabled (or more), all in bridged mode; audio set to null, usb off
Steps to reproduce:
- You need a clean install; by default, the network adapters have all network protocols enabled and tcp/ip is set to auto (dhcp enabled).
- Access the Properties window of one adapter (Local Area Connection)
- Uncheck all the following protocols: Client for Microsoft Networks, QoS Packet Scheduler, File and Printer Sharing for Microsoft Networks, Internet Protocol Version 6, Link Layer Topology Discovery IO Driver, Link Layer Topology Discovery Responder. Don't close the window yet.
- Access the Internet Protocol Version 4 Properties windows and manually set an IP address and a gateway (eg. 192.168.0.123, 255.255.255.0)
- Click OK, then Close. After clicking Close, the guest could hang. If it doesn't, try the same steps with the following adapter. If that doesn't work, reset the settings of all the adapters (TCP/IP V4 to DHCP auto, and recheck all protocols), shutdown the VM, then restart it.
If the guest hangs occurs, the VirtualBox.exe host process consumes all processing time of one CPU core. The process is one of those listed as MSVCR71.dll!endthreadex+0x31. See the attached file. The VM will respond to input (keyboard and mouse) every few seconds or tens of seconds, for a fraction of a second. Several times I've managed to recover the VM, by starting the guest's task manager with ctrl+shift+esc, although that could be a coincidence.
- Summary changed from guest windows 7 (32 or 64 bit) almost hangs when changing guest network card settings to guest windows 7 (32 or 64 bit) almost hangs when changing guest network card settings => fixed in svn