Ticket #2382 (closed defect: fixed)
Host OS freezes, and only works during mouse movement
|Reported by:||yaku||Owned by:|
When I start a Windows XP virtual machine, the system comes to a complete halt - BOTH the Ubuntu host and WinXP guest. Nothing happens on the screen, nothing happens in general unless I move the mouse. When I stop moving the mouse, everything stops again. So basically the system is unusable until I quit VirtualBox (sometimes the problem stays even after the virtual machine is stopped, requiring a reboot).
This does not happen every time, but more often than not. I did not have this problem with the VirtualBox OSE version available in the Ubuntu Hardy repositories.
Some system details I thought might be relevant:
- VirtualBox: 2.0.2 closed source edition (taken from virtualbox home page)
- Host OS: Ubuntu Hardy Heron 8.04 32bit.
- Host OS kernel: 2.6.24-21-generic (from hardy proposed repositories maybe)
- Guest OS: Windows XP Pro SP2, latest Guest additions installed (virtual machine was created with VirtualBox OSE 1.5, and updated by the current virtualbox installer)
- Machine: Acer Ferrari 4000 laptop (ATI graphics, AMD Turion64 processor) (at boot time there has always been a message like "BIOS bug: Timer not connected to IO-APIC", I wonder if it could have something to do with this)
- Compiz is installed but not in use.
- I have two mouse devices (wireless and wired, both USB)
- Latest EnvyNG ATI proprietary graphics drivers installed
- I have an external LCD screen in clone mode connected via DVI
A related forum thread: http://forums.virtualbox.org/viewtopic.php?t=4233